Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Power of Passion

While reading Macbeth, I realized that Lady Macbeth is very passionate and feels strongly about her husband murdering to become King. I, personally, am surprised by her determination for her husband to become a murderer. I know that it is human to act selfishly and to try to advance in theworld. However, Macbeth has already become Thane of Cawdor, an honorable title which both Macbeth and Lady Macbeth should be proud of. Instead, she just wants more and is willing to go to extreme measures for her husband to be King, while her husband is more hesitant to carry out the murder to get the crown. I would think that their feelings should be reversed; Macbeth should be all crazy about murdering and his wife should be the reluctant one and not pushing her husband to commit murder. Why do you think she feels so strongly about it, while Macbeth is more hesitant? Perhaps it is a further extension on the backwards reality Shakespeare has created throughout the whole play.

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty interesting question Kristin. I think this can relate to the idea of "behind every great man there is a great woman." Only in this case it could be considered a "crazy woman." I have to agree that it does reflect the "backwards reality" that Shakespeare created from the start of the play, I guess we know who wears the pants in that marriage.

    ReplyDelete